Thursday, September 25, 2008

Beauty/Fashion Photography

I am really fascinated by fashion and beauty photography. I especially love images that are creative, unique and dramatic. I learnt that there are two main qualities a fashion photographer must have. You need to be great at taking portraits, as well as having a knowlegde of the advertisement market. This includes studying the market and keeping up with the latest fashion trends, using your imagination to create unique images, and being able to sell clothes/products with your photographs. I found a couple of great websites that have some information on this genre. Fashion.net gives you insite on how to break into the fashion industry and Goldprints is about qualities you need to have and things you need to consider as a photographer. Fashion.net also has some great links to other photography websites.

Photo 1 (click on La Creative, scroll down in the selection of the month to H&M 2008, it's the 8th seris of pictures. Picture on left).
I really love this picture on the left because she is filling the frame with the wrap/sweater, and also naturally framing her face with it. There isn't much negative space which allows you to focus the sweater as well as her face. This image was taken by swedish photographer Camilla Akrans. If you have time, there are some other great pictures to check out on this site.

Photo2 (click on fashion & beauty, scroll down and click on the heading beauty, click next to get to the second picture. Picture on left).
I really like that the photographer filled the frame with her face, it really emphasizes the makeup. The angle he took the photo at, as well as the lighting, makes the colors of the eye shadow (and the powder from the eye shadow) really stand out.

Photo 3
I love this shot, the texture of her dress and the ground against the smooth blue sky pulls me in. I also love that her dress is blowing in the wind and isn't dragging on the ground. I'm not sure who took this photo but I will definately be looking it up.

No comments: